Markham Chinese Baptist Church
(August 13, 2020)
Seeing the slowdown of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) spreading in local communities, the board of pastors and deacons and church council, with reference to Ontario government’s ease of restrictions and York Region Public Health Recommendations, have the following updates on church’s situation and measures taken:
*Update* Church Physical Gathering Reopening Arrangement
Thanks to the Lord! After months of collaborative efforts in combating the pandemic, we finally see it mitigating. After several consultations and discussions, the “Physical Gathering Reopening Committee” decided to resume Cantonese physical worship service by opening an in-person evening service on every Saturday 5 PM starting September 12, which will run in parallel with live streaming. The service will also be re-broadcasted during the Morning and Noon service sessions on Sunday (physical Sunday services will not be resumed at this stage). English and Mandarin services will continue to be run online and the dates to resume their physical services will be announced once finalized.
The arrangement and logistics of the resumed service have been adapted to comply with the following government guidelines:
1. Participation of worship cannot exceed 30% of the capacity of the premises
2. 2-metre social distancing among participants
3. Participants of indoor gatherings are required to wear masks
The Committee will provide regular updates on the progress of the reopening arrangement. Should you have any suggestions or questions regarding the reopening, welcome to communicate with the Committee via email: email@example.com.
We earnestly pray for the Lord’s wisdom, patience and unity in overcoming the challenges and difficulties we are encountering during this reopening process. Thank you!
Sunday Service Broadcast
Sunday Service will commence broadcasting at the designated times for all brothers and sisters to worship together. Broadcast links will be available by clicking on the buttons of the specific worship services on mcbc.com, videos will remain available for replay for the rest of the day. Sermon audio recordings will also be available for review under Sunday Sermons of individual divisions’ web pages. Live streaming of the English worship service will be available at eng.mcbc.com. The weekly bulletin can also be downloaded at eng.mcbc.com/bulletin.
- Cantonese Morning Worship Service 8:00 AM (live); (re-broadcasting available)
- English Worship Service 9:30 AM (live); (re-broadcasting available)
- Mandarin Worship Service 9:30 AM (live); (re-broadcasting available)
- Cantonese Noon Worship Service 11:15 AM (re-broadcasting)
Methods of Offering
Offering is a Christian’s responsibility. We are able to continue serving you and serving our community through your generosity. Brothers and sisters can offer via:
- PayPal Giving Fund program
- Mailing in cheques to the church office (Please do not send cash)
- Church Drop-Off
- instructions can be found here
Pastoral Caring and Shepherding
While all on-site gatherings are suspended during this period where all of us are engaged in combating the pandemic, pastoral shepherding continues. Brothers and sisters, if you have any caring needs and/or prayer requests, feel free to contact any of our pastors in their respective divisions. We will do our best to render as much assistance and support we can.
The church would also like to recommend the following for your family’s safety and well-being:
- If you or a family member exhibit any symptoms (cold, fever, cough, difficulty breathing, etc.), please contact your family physician immediately, or call Telehealth Ontario Hotline at 1-866-797-0000.
- If you or a family member have just returned from outside of Canada, or if you have out-of- country family, friends, or relatives, who have recently arrived to Canada, with you, please stay with your loved ones at home, and self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Please cancel all non-essential travel outside of Canada.
- Please regularly use water and soap or hand sanitizer with a high alcohol level to sanitize your hands.
- When coughing or sneezing, please cover your mouth and nose with your arm. Wear a mask if necessary.
- Smile, nod, or wave to greet one another; refrain from shaking hands.
- Earnestly pray for the Lord’s mercy that the spread of the disease will be controlled; may the Lord heal the afflicted to have a full recovery, and may the Lord help those in times of trouble to overcome.
(These preventative measures are subject to change as the Canadian Government updates their recommendations. Please refer to the church’s websites for the latest updates.)